Saturday, March 19, 2005

Recovery from Wounds


Isaiah 53:5 - "He was wounded for our transgressions . . ."

wound - chala (khaw-lia') - This word pictures a piercing action that continues to the very depths of a person as a result of a wedged open place (like an event, word,etc.)

transgression - pesha (peh'-shah) - a premeditated crossing the line of God's law; rebellious act of rejecting God's authority; complete defilement of that which is holy

Jesus, the complete picture of God, was completely defiled and pierced through because of my premeditated, rebellious act of rejecting His truth and authority. His death and resurrection paid the penalty for that act. Not only did this happen once and for all for my salvation, it covers every act of rebellion I'll ever do. Now how does that cause me to respond to Him? For some, it may be a nonchalant "big deal" sort of attitude. Not for me! His love presses to challenge me beyond the usual. My heart is broken at my rebellion. The unfolding joy of knowing Hi ssacrifice for me brings a keener attention to my daily walk.

Now what does this say of our woundings in life? In earliest use of this word, it meant a sexual defilement such as rape or incest (Gen. 48:4). We know there's nothing new under the sun. Even today, the picture is happening again and again. The willful rebellious acts of people continue to wound. Whether it's in word or deed, those acts can pierce deeply.

BUT ON THE CROSS . . . the price was paid! I'm not a victim of wounding. I'm a victor over those things. His love is drawing me beyond whatever satisfaction I found at the wounded place. His mercy will not leave me there. He is drawing me into the wide open spaces of His life!

So, whether we've been the wounded or the wounder, the plain fact is that Jesus took the consequences of both acts upon Himself. His blood was sufficient to heal our pain and forgive us for our deliberate acts. It's so good to know that the Father looks at every person in the situation and is available to redeem each one.

Father,

I pray today for those of us who might be dwelling at the wounded places in our lives. Show us again that Your Son was pierced to the depths for all the willful, premeditated acts we do and have been done against us. There is nothing that You don't see or that You will not heal. When Jesus said "It is finished!", it was enough to heal, restore and reclaim all the defiled places in our lives. We ask for freedon, release and wholeness. We receive all that His work did for us!

In Jesus' name . . . Amen

No comments: